In this tutorial, let's set up Talon.One and Iterable to have Iterable automatically request a user-specific referral code directly from Talon.One.
For example, let's imagine that:
- We are sending an email to users in some segment.
- We want to include user-specific referral codes worth 10% off purchases over $20.
With this integration, you can automate the process of creating those referral codes via Talon.One and displaying them in the promotional email from Iterable.
If you're not using Iterable, see the generic customer engagement platform endpoints.
Rate limiting recommendations
Contact your Iterable CSM for implementation support.
- You have an Application and campaign in Talon.One.
- You have a least 2 customer profiles in Talon.One. These profiles also exist in Iterable.
- You have set up a referral program in your Application. For more information, see the Product docs.
- You have created a campaign and template.
- You have a way to identify a given customer across Talon.One and Iterable.
In this tutorial, we assume a customer's Talon.One
integrationIdalso exists in Iterable. For example, You can create a new property on your Iterable customer profiles called
talonone_idto store Talon.One's integration ID.
Creating 3rd-party API key
Let's generate a Talon.One API key that we will use for a 3rd-party service, in our case, Iterable.
- In your Talon.One Application, click Settings > Developer settings.
- Click Create API Key.
- For Do you want to use this API Key with a 3rd party service?, select Yes.
- From Platform, select Iterable.
- Select an expiration date, and click Create API Key.
- Copy the key for later use.
The integration endpoint for referrals
To generate the referral in Iterable, we call the following endpoint:
Generating the URI
Generate the URI with the following form:
You can now use this URI inside Iterable.
Creating the data feed
In Iterable, create a new data feed to pull in referral codes:
- Click Content > Data Feeds > Create New Feed.
- Choose a name, for example
Talon.One referral code.
- In URL, paste the generated URI.
- Set Format to
- In Authorization token, type
ApiKey-v1and enter your the API generated earlier.
Creating a template and linking the data feed
Create an Iterable template that will be used for your marketing campaign
In the Advanced Options tab, select your Talon.One data feed.
For more information about data feeds, see the Iterable docs.
Reference the referral code and/or entire response from Talon.One within the email template by using square brackets.
Your referral code is [[code]]!.
See the Iterable Docs.
Check the template and placement of the data feed response by using the
Preview with datatool.
Load template feedin order to bring in the data feed response data into the template.